In 1955, Herman Chanen borrowed $1,000 to start Chanen Construction Company in Phoenix, Arizona. The first project built by the young company was Money Oldsmobile automobile dealership, which was soon followed by another dealership, Courtesy Chevrolet. Within years, the company was building airport terminals and developing and building Arizona’s first high-rise office building, The Arizona Title Building.
The company launched a construction management division specializing in large and complex public buildings. Steve Chanen joined the company in 1991 and soon after, Chanen opened a Las Vegas office and was building casinos in Nevada and for Native American communities. From the humble beginnings, Chanen Construction Company now creates buildings from manufacturing plants to college campuses, airports to high-rise buildings, throughout the continental US.
CHANEN CONSTRUCTION COMPANY AWARDS WALL
- 1955 Chanen Construction Company started by Herman Chanen with a borrowed $1,000.
- 1961 Chanen builds Terminal 2 at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, Phoenix, Arizona.
- 1972 Los Angeles office opens and construction on Warner Bros. headquarters starts.
- 1985 McDonald Douglas/Boeing Helicopter Plant, built in Mesa, Arizona by Chanen opens; AH-64A Helicopters built here and later lead to victory in the Gulf War.
- 1991 Lawyer and investment banker, Steve Chanen, joins the company and is soon named President.
- 1992 A Chanen owned and built hotel in San Francisco, CA, the Sheraton at Fisherman's Wharf, achieves the Starwood Award for the highest average annual occupancy.
- 1993 Las Vegas office opens.
- 1994 Chanen completes the $287M Terminal IV at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.
- 1995 Chanen builds casino for Yavapai Apache Indian Nation, beginning 18 years of building partnerships with Native American communities.
- 2000 North Carolina operations start.
- 2005 luxury custom home division, Chanen Estate Homes, is launched.
- 2010 Chanen completes the $450 million Talking Stick Resort for the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community.
- 2013 Chanen Celebrates 57 years in business and completes over 50 buildings in a 143-acre Campus in Glendale, AZ for Midwestern University, a leader since 1900 in medical education.